Friendly Fire

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Friendly Fire

Post by the_j0k3r »

I dont know if there is some way to do this, or if it has been mentioned before, just a small thing. What if there was an option you could specify in the config file to toggle friendly fire on or off. This, although making everything dramatically easier, would eliminate tking. I know some servers depend on friendly fire to make it fun, but if you wanted to have a free for all server with teams, like mofo, you could make it better. Or perhaps maybe an anti tking flag, which turns friendly fire off. I know some servers would welcome this, as they are plagued with annoying tkers and often there aren't enough people to vote them out.
JumpingPat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JumpingPat »

???
Last edited by JumpingPat on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
delete as applicable!
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

So you mean you'd just shoot through your eams tanks?
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

i hadnt thought about that. i suppose it would make a bit more sense if the bullets dissapeared if it went through a teammates tank, it would make it more fair. perhaps that could be specified in the config file as a variable too. like -f 1 or -f 0. 1 for it going through the teammate, and 0 for it dissapearing.

what i was describing was just going straight through the teammate, which i think would be better, because you dont have to think about teammates at all, as opposed to trying not to shoot through teammates, which was a small part of whats good about the option/flag in the first place. i would think that anyone who would have their server better off with that option would also be better off with the shot going straight through the teammate.
JumpingPat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JumpingPat »

???
Last edited by JumpingPat on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
delete as applicable!
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

haha. nice idea, but i think that would be a little to complicated, or it would be so hard to judge where it will ricochet to that it wouldnt have any point to put on. like if your teammate is facing away from you diagonally, you have no idea where your bullet will go. also your teammate would be moving.

although you could coordinate some really cool attacks using that, like setting up your teammates so that you shoot a laser and it ricochets directly into the opponents base :P
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it can be added, but it has to be done on the client side, so it has to be done in 2.1
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

in fact it is now done for 2.1 -noTeamKills
ImageJeffM
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

cool, ill look forward to using it. when is the release date for 2.1 anyway?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

when it's done.
ImageJeffM
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

I still don't really get this. But it would be useful to newbies to learn not to teamkill. Perhaps it could be like the Shield flag which tells you that you've just got shot by someone; instead, it should say Don't Kill Teammates like it is now. Drawback: some people don't learn.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

dosn't that mean you could just fire everywhere constantly, and never worry about hitting anything?

for a quick solution, you can at the moment specify -tk into bzfs and then you don't die on TK - you only lose points.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

dosn't that mean you could just fire everywhere constantly, and never worry about hitting anything?

for a quick solution, you can at the moment specify -tk into bzfs and then you don't die on TK - you only lose points.
Good Point. I think we're better off just learning not to kill our teamates, and the people that do :evil: ...................off with their heads! :D
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

I agree that this doesn't make a lot of sense and is unrealistic. The way real life works and has always worked is that once the bullet is on its way, the deed is done. As we used to say in the Army, once fired, chooses no sides.

Every aspect of the game has balance, is a trade-off, and people often want all upside and no downside... but part of the beauty of the game is the degree of balance which has usually (not always) been maintained.
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

JeffM2501 wrote:in fact it is now done for 2.1 -noTeamKills
Will it kill yourself when your bullet ricochets back to you?
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

Spazzy Mcgee
does this mean the person you tked dies, but you dont? in my opinion this is bad, because it means that you can be a crazy tker, and be put at no inconvenience when you tk. it is like creating a server that advertises "tkers welcome, plenty of innocent civilians for you to ravage and kill at your leisure". that is no solution.

i agree, and have stated before, that many servers need tking in order to make in more fun, and more skillful for the people who play in it. but i think that in some servers, particularly planet mofo, which is a team-based free-for-all with many shots, and a large, quick sw, it would be very useful to have. there are other servers i think could use it also, for example i see "the world of pain is here" up in the listserver quite a bit, its a very extreme server, and i think that it could use it aswell.

as for "people that do it.....of with their heads". what are you going to do. if you are lucky enough to have an admin there, they get banned for a couple of hours, come back in a week or so and do it again. if you are not, you get a whole bunch of people who cant be bothered to vote on a poll. it just gets annoying. even if this isn't a command that every server is going to use, it is a command that is very useful to have in the game.

as for not making sense, i dont know what is not to get. you shoot, the bullet goes through a teammate. that is what i gathered from it.

anyway ill stop now ive taken up way too much space on this page :D
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

the_j0k3r wrote:haha. nice idea, but i think that would be a little to complicated, or it would be so hard to judge where it will ricochet to that it wouldnt have any point to put on.
Easy: Ricochet goes back to you. as if hitting with 90 degrees. So be careful not to shoot a teammate while having Laser...

RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

Skeeve wrote:Easy: Ricochet goes back to you. as if hitting with 90 degrees. So be careful not to shoot a teammate while having Laser...
That might look a little weird if the other tank is at an angle to you :?
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Sorry, but this seems like a terrible idea. New players would NEVER learn not to tk, then, and they'd end up being even WORSE of a player on a server without this "enhancement."

No, I think it's important that they learn early NOT to shoot towards their team.
JumpingPat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JumpingPat »

???
Last edited by JumpingPat on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
delete as applicable!
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

me? a teacher? hm...
I'm a player, who is annoyed by tking, and besides - I know how it is to have to learn something later that I SHOULD have learned before, and it's no fun.

Yeah, there's some psychology for ya. Or something?
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

@Ck_asdf: It's a feature enabled by a server admin. So I don't see a problem here if admins use it wisely.