A question?: CTF Scoring WHY???

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Razzberry
Private First Class
Private First Class

A question?: CTF Scoring WHY???

Post by Razzberry »

Ok, this really bugs me, and maybe its a dev issue, but there is NO reward (other than the gratifying laugh track) for capturing a flag in CTF. The capturer should get a 5 or 10 point bonus for each capture and the team should be rewarded as well. I think a new scoring system for CTF is in order, otherwise, it's just jury rigged FFA.

Anyone else?
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

good point razz,

CTF already suffers from teams hardly ever being balanced. when you have people running flags 4 reds to 2 greens etc, then its only gonna get people more mad than it already does for them to recieve 5-10 points.

but i see your point on ducati 5156 style CTF, it does seem like red vs green FFA with a "wipeout" flag when captured. i don't play in the league any longer, so i find this quite true about being an FFA type game in the end.
what if the tank that scores gets the points for the number of tanks on the other team?

in a LEAGUE CTF match, personal score hardly matters outside the number of times a team scores the opponent flag.

sm
oi!
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

I believe Mr. Snow_Monkey has a valid point. Although, I would hope that the captured flag points would be distributed among the various team members and not just the individual flag capturer.

Having played CTF in an unofficial format, I can say that teams that do well, work together. One individual may guard the teams flag, another may make manuevers to capture an opposing teams flag, and yet another may act as high guard to the rest. Hypothetically speaking of course.

All should get the reward. I have not noticed, but do you get penalized for having your flag captured, beyond the instant death? Does that count against your individual score, or only the teams?
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

You only lose "team points" when an opponent captures your flag.

The only real issue I have with your idea, Razz, is that it would be way too easy to simply pick on the weak team (like on xmission) to get points for yourself. CTF is for the good of the team.. not personal gain. That's what really attracts me to CTF; the inability to play without teamwork. I got tired of FFA because it's just that... a free for all. :D
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

The issue here, is that xmission is not an organized team server. This generates team scores that are completely trivial. I would agree that individual score is irrelevant, but it is a nice way to judge how things are going, and what group to attack next.(we all like to hunt a little)
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I am no fan of "modern CTF" maps. I am of the mind that mixing CTF and FFA is often a big mistake. Ducati style CTF is the only CTF as far as I'm concerned.
Razzberry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Razzberry »

No to split hairs, but even a one point reward for everyone on the team would seem appropriate.
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

I think the current point system for ctf is fine. CTF isn’t designed for personal score, it’s a team event.
I also think that coding some sort of "auto-assigning player system" when joining would be a good idea. Instead of the player choosing which team (color) to join, they are automatically dumped into the team with fewer players, balancing team size. This might help alleviate the one-sided victories often seen.
It's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says: Hey, can you give me a hand? You can say: Sorry, got these sacks.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

I agree with Spiff and bamf. Still, it would be nice to have a server option that allows admins to set scoring so that a kill, death, flag capture, and flag loss can be set to any value for both teams and individuals.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
snike
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snike »

It would almost be nice to keep a record of stats for players (if they volunteer to do so of course). and then the stacked teams would be less of an issue sometimes. Just an idea and now that I think about it it is really quite stupid.
Simplicity is really not that simple.
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Merry »

I think the current point system for ctf is fine.
You're right bamf. (Even though I hate the laughing ;-)) I think it should stay the way it is.
CTF isn't designed for personal score, it's a team event.
True. FFA is designed for that. I will stand with the real kind of CTF. :o
I agree with Spiff, bamf, and Dervy.
The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

IT be sorta weird with gaining points for your score everytime you CTF. Because it would make bad players look good and good players look bad because the bad players score would go up everytime. Thats my 2 cents.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Legolas wrote:IT be sorta weird with gaining points for your score everytime you CTF. Because it would make bad players look good and good players look bad because the bad players score would go up everytime. Thats my 2 cents.

Define Good player on ctf.

High personal score.
nope.

Ctf is not about who's better. But which team can function better. I am a fair player on Ducati. However, If I have worthless teamates, I'm doomed. There is no way to win.
also, different teamates have different jobs. Sometimes, I have the job of capturing the flag. The others create diversions and rack up high personal scores. Or some times I guard the flag.

Sumed up, it can be hard to tell a good player on ctf. Take in account personal score, teamates, and team score. You can be sure of one thing, They are either better individualy than you, or worse. Perhaps the same.

My only note of sorrow is that there is a lack of excellent teamates. Not matter how poor in skill you are, you can double your potental and lethality when working as a team. I remember two teamates, the best in the world, One was John, the other Ray Fighter. I would tell them Get "?" flag. Hell or high water would not stop them. I was covering, and racked up and awesome personal score, but that's not the point. We forced all other teams off the server we were so good. Same thing with Ray Fighter. A coordinated team is unstopable. I have seen it time after time again happen. Forget skill, Teamwork will dominate the field.

Ever seen the Baron Brthers. Perfect example!

We challenge anybody, 2v2, FFA or CTF. We are not Bz Gods like kono, or bamf. Just brothers who know how to work together to wipe out all resistance.
SGI
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SGI »

Nice words
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Good point, Red Baron.

I think the common 2 vs 2 configuration in CTF matches doesn't promote enough teamwork to support yuor statement. Still, the point you make is absolutely important. If we had more 3 vs 3 matches, then CTF would really hold true to its purpose.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

I forgot to mention Dervish that When Playing with Ray Fighter and John, it was 2v2. One occasion with Ray Fighter (recently) and another time with John (not so recently)

Also you have the Baron team. 2 still makes a team & from experience, it corroborates my statements.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Merry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Merry »

Right. When you would get points, they would probably win (on poor teams) the game by like 30!!
The secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
CapN
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CapN »

Wow,

So many good points!!! I tend to agree mostly with BAMF I guess. As far as league matches go, you could pretty much do away with the individual score keeping, it is really pointless. As for regular CTF games, I can see both sides of it.

It is a team game but with so many players going in and out it is rare it seems to get a good evenly matched game going, so a lot of times I think it almost turns into a FFA game. Then, like Koba pointed out, the individual scores do give you some gauge as to how well a team or person is doing.

-CapN-
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

well one thing that slightly aggravates me is that all team scores are in the right hand corner barely discernable. On CTF if we could move them to the right and make them more prominent perhaps that could help. That way your focus is on team score, not personal. Just a little visual tactic.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!