lag ?

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Papy
Private First Class
Private First Class

lag ?

Post by Papy »

I received a message :

"your lag is too long "

What does that means ?
Be Happy...

GJM
eagle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by eagle »

what the person meant (or was it the server?) was your lag is too high, giving you jitter which makes your tank hard to kill because you jump from one place to another....lag is caused by a bad connection or if you are running an aplication or downloading something.
~~~~~
I do know everything, just not all at once. Its a virtual memory problem.
Winny
Grouchy
Grouchy

Post by Winny »

Eagle, you forgot one :P

Lag is the time it takes for your packets to get from your client to the server.

Therefore, the farther away you are, the more lag you have.
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Papy
Considering you're from France, try to play at European servers. Most BZFlag servers are hosted in the USA, so the lag is higher because you're farther away. You can also play at servers where the lag threshold is higher.
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

eagle wrote:what the person meant (or was it the server?) was your lag is too high, giving you jitter which makes your tank hard to kill because you jump from one place to another....lag is caused by a bad connection or if you are running an aplication or downloading something.
Lag does not cause jitter...
Jitter is the variance of lag, I believe.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Papy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks to all

Post by Papy »

Oui, oui, je suis un bloody français...
Ok then. I shall try to connect on an European server ans also stop to downlon mouvies from e-mule...

Best wishes from 63 years old papy, enjoy live, and be happy !

......and also.......best " souvenir " :lol-old: [b]from PARIS[/b] !"
Be Happy...

GJM
JumpingPat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JumpingPat »

???
Last edited by JumpingPat on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
delete as applicable!
Sky King
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sky King »

JumpingPat wrote:You can check this by using the "ping" command -- which shows you the transmission-time of a network-paket from your PC to a Server and back to you!
In fact, the generic ping command may be a poor approximation of what your lag will be. Ping uses a very short ICMP packet, typically 32 bytes in length, whereas a typical UDP data packet from BZflags may be much longer, and may take quite a bit longer in transit. Try using ping with a 1500 byte packet to more closely approximate real-world transit times by using this command in Windows:

ping -l 1500 servername

that is "dash letter L" which forces the ping packets to be 1500 bytes long.

In practice, you will probably find that longer packets can take 10 to 20ms longer to make their round trip.

Also... for most users on cable or DSL, I would not use ping/2 to estimate lag. I use a fudge-factor like ping*.66

The reason for this is that cable and DSL are typically highly asymmetric; My cable modem is 6.5 mbps downstream, but about 300 kbps upstream.

That means just the media access time alone of an upstream packet will be about 5ms longer than a downstream one. The lag that really affects my fellow players is my upstream lag, not downstream, and that upstream lag will almost always be a bit more than 1/2 of the round trip time.
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

CannonBallGuy wrote:
eagle wrote:what the person meant (or was it the server?) was your lag is too high, giving you jitter which makes your tank hard to kill because you jump from one place to another....lag is caused by a bad connection or if you are running an aplication or downloading something.
isnt it that you get lag when you download and jitter when you upload?
RexFlex
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by RexFlex »

birdie wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:
isnt it that you get lag when you download and jitter when you upload?
No.

Jitter can be formed by any number of things but often indicates that one or more points of your connection to the game server is under load and can't always give your game pings priority. The load issue can go either direction on the connection.

Lag is mostly an indication of the distance between you and the game server, but may also be an indication of the data speed of one or more points of the connection.
"Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin paid; mostly only when I'm gettin paid. But eating people alive, when does that get fun?"
Papy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Papy »

Thanks to all :

I say that to " eagle" ," win xp", " a meteorite" ," Patjumping " ," Sky King" ,"Birdie" and "Reflex".

So, back to my few data books, "help" inclosed sytems and do-it-yourself stuff...
Do you know what ?

I just want to play and have fun with BZF...

Indead, some have to know how all that works...but please, please...
Just for the fun, may be we could have some playgrounds for olders and beginnners, kind of school with some teaching, step by step, and after
some time and test of good understanding of all the BZF world, " welcome" dans la cour des grands ! (bienvenue in Hight BZF Team !)...

Why not ?...

Anyway, I go straight on my BZF and get fired less 50 !

Rgds to all from Paris Suburb, /......and scuze fore maille bade Englissshhh...
:lol-old:
Be Happy...

GJM