Position marker

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
Linuxx0r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Position marker

Post by Linuxx0r »

Hi,

while playing on Planet Mofo I often saw somebody dropping a good flag while I had a good flag too. So I often tried to remember the Position of the Flag, but as the map is symmetric this is really hard. My idea is as follows: as you press a certain key, at your current position will be a marker on the HUD or on the radar and you can easily find this place later if you want to return there. You could also use that function to set a meeting point of your team so your whole team can come together there and then fight together move forward against the enemy from there. That would maybe encourage the Players to do a little more teamplay.
What do you think about it?
Or what would you change?

greetings,
Linuxx0r
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

I think that people nowadays always want it easy. But this takes the fun out of it. So no! I don't like the idea while I still see that it's a nice feature.
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
chickin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by chickin »

No, It would defeat the purpase of FINDING a flag.

Chickin.
-------------------(\ /)--------------------
------------------(O.o)-------------------
------------------(> <)-------------------

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
Tanner
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tanner »

I think using it for finding a flag would be a bit pointless as you could easily remember the surroundings (unless it looks similar to some other part of the map).

I think it would be useful with teams. You could have a personal marker (only you can see) and a team marker (whole team can see).

-Tanner
Tanner - Segway HT i180 Red Owner - Random Map Creator - BZStocks - TS Software

dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

Remembering flags on Mofo is a simple task... And why would you want it to be easier? The game isn't about being easy, it sucks the fun right out, modifying it to be easy.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

I try to do that all the time! When i die with a wg or some good flag, and it doesnt dissapear, i try to get it again. It isnt that hard on mofo (the most symmetrical server in the world), or on other complicated servers, you just look at whats around it.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

Guys, the symmetricality of the map makes it hard to do, and so many flags there do also. And how can one map be more symmetrical than another?

I like the marker, but probably only for the team, to set a rally point or such.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
Skeeve
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Skeeve »

Hannibal wrote:Guys, the symmetricality of the map makes it hard to do
You did notice, there is a North-Marker, didn't you? This takes away almost, if not all symmetrically induced orientation problems, I think...
Hannibal wrote:And how can one map be more symmetrical than another?
This is symetrical:

Code: Select all

X   Y

X   Y
Just horizontal symmetrical

This is more symetrical:

Code: Select all

X   X

X   X
Horizontal, vertical and maybe even rotational symmetric...
Avatar created with South Park Studio

Don't you hate it when your posts get deleted without any note?
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

no, i like the marker idea. It could have uses far beyond searching for flags. It dosn't to me seem like an easy way out... More like a natural addition to the radar.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
JumpingPat
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by JumpingPat »

???
Last edited by JumpingPat on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
delete as applicable!
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

Nothing....really. I don't think it would even make much of a meeting point since you can already talk to your teamates.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

A Vicious Muffin wrote:Nothing....really. I don't think it would even make much of a meeting point since you can already talk to your teamates.
But that takes a good amount of time, and time is at a premium in-game. A marker would be much easier, and you could just say 'go mark', and at least some would know what to do.

Sky King

The North marker also takes time, and by the time I get the heading, and locate the exact position (there are usually 10-20 flags within 30 units of a given point) I'm alive and there are usually quite harmful bullets flying around. Flag-finding also requires me to know my heading and where I am on the map. More time. And flag-finding makes playing the game hard, as usually I encounter obstructions (players) along the way. During my dealings with such obstructions, I lose the position of the flag I was attempting to get to. As such, I ususally just don't bother to flag-find, I just grab a flag and hope.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

Just wanted to comment....

One good way to note where things are on "The Passion" (Planet MoFo's flagship map) is to go by radar, and count from where things are in relation to the MOFO in the sky.

I, too, have seen where a good flag is that I'll know I'll wanna get back to later on and remember to myself "in the corner, above the letter M" or "just below the F"
...This has been a recording.