Purple Pwnage server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
raytek2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Purple Pwnage server

Post by raytek2 »

I have been running this server for a day or so, and it has been pretty successful, but after a while everything goes NR and I have to restart the server, ending all of the gameplay....

I am running it on linux, and have DSL. I think it is a problem with my internet, but if you have any suggustions please tell me them.

-ray
BinarySpike
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BinarySpike »

Raytek2: What's your distro? and do you have a router?

Sometimes routers need special cords or they work slower. (dual-channel cords or something? I don't remember...)
Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir Lance-A-Lot »

Just a word of caution - most mainstream DSL providers have server-hosting barred in their terms - it usually creates immense amount of traffic, and of course it all goes back to them...Just so you are aware. ;)
Kat
Private
Private

Post by Kat »

Here-here for what Sir Lancelot just said...

But even if you *are* allowed to pass some sort of server traffic through your DSL (they sometimes allow conferencing servers or web servers, etc), you may also have to set up what's known as a "DMZ", essentially placing your server logically OUTSIDE the firewall-protected interior zone of your DSL subnet. Without that step, your server does not have a directly accessible address on the internet (goes through NAT or something similar first), and may not be directly visible to any external machines requesting access to ports.

Anyway, best of luck with it!