How Long Does It Take To Get Good?

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )

How many hours of playtime did it take for you to improve?

<100
38%
~250
35%
>500
27%

Total votes: 26

The Vet
Private First Class
Private First Class

How Long Does It Take To Get Good?

Post by The Vet »

For the sake of the noobs who feel it's a long way to the top...

It took me about 150 hours of play for me to stop getting a negative score. Then to start being among the top three or within 10 kills of the leader, about 300 hours more after the first 150. Even now, I still see I have lots of room for improvement; it will probably take about 500 hours more of training before I can always make it to the top of the score list and stay there.

Keep working at it. :wink:

Just to clarify:

Good = Can keep a positive score
Excellent = Can keep in top three or within 10 kills of leader
Awesome = Always the leader

And of Course:

Cheater = 0 hours of play, but an obscenely high score. And when you go head-to-head with them and get them, they cry. :roll:

Please see the sister-post, "What Did It Take To Get Good?": http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9590&highlight=
Last edited by The Vet on Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Well around my 4th year playing I was doing fantastic...then started going down, then Im kind of back to where I was 3 years ago. So in all it took me 7 years to get this good, which isnt nearly as good as some.

And "Vet" how long have you been playing :wink:
Last edited by bzflaginator on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
The Vet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vet »

Onto my third year.
A Vicious Muffin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Vicious Muffin »

What do you mean as "good"? Good can mean many different things. You could be good at mofo, or hix, and suck at badgerkings. (not saying anyone does...) But I'll be modest, i suck at many servers because I hardly play at them. Well, ok. Maybe it took 1-2 years to get a positive score (i wasn't hardcore then) Then the last year or so I got "good".
GMMan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by GMMan »

I consider myself good at GMs. I don't consider myself good at BZFlag in general. Hmm... I guess I'm stuck between good beginner and almost intermediate. But since I'm writing a BZFlag book, maybe I am medium... I'll ponder on that for an eternity.
I haven't touched BZFlag for years, but maybe sometime I'll make a comeback.

I'm on Twitter. And I mess with webOS. This signature is not a blog.
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

What you have to remember about a game like BZFlag is that 250 BZFlag hours translates to 500 real world hours. You can go for days without eating, drinking or sleeping.:wink:

As for me, I'd say it took about 499 hours. That would be about 998 hours that I missed out on in real life.

--A Distraction

B.T.W. I don't know the exact formula for converting time spent on BZFlag into understandable terms in the minds of the real worlders. But I do know time flies when you are on BZFlag.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get Good?

Post by Defman »

The Vet wrote:For the sake of the noobs who feel it's a long way to the top...

Just to clarify:

and when you get to the point of being able to include yourself in the Excellent to Awesome status, be prepared to be called a cheater on almost a daily basis.

Just an FYI.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Defman wrote:

Just to clarify:

and when you get to the point of being able to include yourself in the Excellent to Awesome status, be prepared to be called a cheater on almost a daily basis.

Just an FYI.
Not true. Maybe on servers you play on but in most places I play that isnt true. Maybe there are qualities the leaders have at the servers you play on may be considered "cheaters". I greatly frown upon all these cheating accusations.
Defman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Defman »

Dark Zodiac wrote: Not true. Maybe on servers you play on but in most places I play that isnt true. Maybe there are qualities the leaders have at the servers you play on may be considered "cheaters". I greatly frown upon all these cheating accusations.
hehe - I've been playing this game too long. Maybe not on a daily basis - but it's getting old, being accused of cheating.

I have to agree with your last sentence.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Defman wrote:
Dark Zodiac wrote: Not true. Maybe on servers you play on but in most places I play that isnt true. Maybe there are qualities the leaders have at the servers you play on may be considered "cheaters". I greatly frown upon all these cheating accusations.
hehe - I've been playing this game too long. Maybe not on a daily basis - but it's getting old, being accused of cheating.

I have to agree with your last sentence.
I have come to consider it a compliment, being called a cheater, something I get on a regular basis :)
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

lol TRB. As long as you dont get banned :wink: I quit GU not because of the complaints, but because of facts.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

GMMan wrote:I consider myself good at GMs. I don't consider myself good at BZFlag in general. Hmm... I guess I'm stuck between good beginner and almost intermediate. But since I'm writing a BZFlag book, maybe I am medium... I'll ponder on that for an eternity.
Lol... who isn't good with GMs? GM gives you a lofty advantage over all the other players.
Goodbye2U
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Goodbye2U »

Unlike most games I find, there is no "top" in bzflag.
Sure, you might be able to get the highest score quickly, but usually there
is someone who can do it faster than you(and I don't mean cheaters)

Getting into the end of my first year(being a rookie as I understand it),
I find that I have greatly improved, going from "bullet magnet" to
"bullet repeller and running into them" :P
I'm thinking I need a better sig than this...
Think_Different
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Think_Different »

I have a life, thus, i've been playing below 150 hrs. (this counts for playing, not observing)
A Hobo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Hobo »

I've been playing for just under a year and i'm able to stay in the positives on all courses (excluding HIX and Pillbox). I'm sometimes at the top (mainly if the leaders leave, or i scare them away..... :twisted: ). I can name a bunch of people on public servers who I can never get ahead.
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

LOL guys you all say in HOurs you have to know guys. Please read my BZFlag presentation what was made in Powerpoint and you will know how long it took from me to become a very strong, but remember its not goood to be the best, because always is some person who will pwn you, and if you will br the best of the best you cant then stop playing bzflag, because you move from the best one to 2 best one from 3... and so untill you become nooob. :P
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

guys read my presentation in topic Player>You have to read that. Its my story being played bzflag
The Vet
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Vet »

{janis} wrote:guys read my presentation in topic Player>You have to read that. Its my story being played bzflag
Awesome presentation. So you've probably been at it for 500 hours?
slon02
Private First Class
Private First Class

hours of play

Post by slon02 »

Id say it took me around 400 or 350 hours. This is because im always busy typing or banning somebody and don't pay attention to whats on the screen. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Joop
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Joop »

my second year was when i got good

but now i am into my fourth year

i don't play it as often as i used too...so i plateau
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

I started back in July and would only get scores of like, -90. I started to see an improvement within a week, I'd stay at around -20 to -30. Soon after I stayed at a constant zero, around the middle of August. Then I started to go positive, and now, on Planet MoFo at least, I get about 100 everytime I go, and I don't stay there for hours trying to get that high of a score, I get it within a few minutes.
sniper1234
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sniper1234 »

I think it took me about 30 or 40 hours to get good! Maybe it is a talent. But it shouldn't take that long to be good? U have ot know some strategy and u have to memorize keys thats all!
rowrbazzle
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rowrbazzle »

The thing about bzflag is that there are so many levels of skill... a few hours of playing and you'll own your friends. I'll guess that I have about 50 hours; I can usually hover around 0 at Badgerking's or MoFo. But also remember that (not counting TKs) the sum of all players' scores is zero... so a negative score does not necessarily mean that you're bad, just below the median skill of your rivals. On no-place-to-hide maps like Pillbox I'm happy if I can pull a 1:2 kills-to-deaths ratio ;)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

"Getting good" is really very vague. There are multiple factors to being a skilled player.

First off, the map you play on has an extreme key role in skill. If you practice on a lasersniping server a lot, you're bound to get better at laser sniping eventually. However, if you've been playing at a fast paced laser sniping server where most combat is far off, and then you try to play at, say, a standard ctf map, you might not be as skilled as the other people playing there, because some of them have been playing *that particular map*. If you play at any style, map, or server long and frequent enough, you're bound to get better at it. I'd say it takes, oh, I don't know, a week to be showing a lot of improvement. That might be overshot...or undershot. I don't know! :D I do know that it all depends what I said above. :) IMHO.