What kind of map would YOU like to see?

General talk about the map making process.

If a Capture the Flag map, how many teams?

47%
24%
29%

Total votes: 45

lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

What kind of map would YOU like to see?

Post by lodxcol »

I'm open for ANY kind of suggestions, example:

What type of gamemode do you prefer the most?

(If CTF please see poll)

What kind of layout? (although that's a bit vague)

What kinds of flags?

Once we get some suggestions, we'll post screenshots of the map we're working on, so you can critique it!
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I 3 team CTF all of the bases in the middle. but flags in the corners.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I'd be interested in any of these types.

Maybe make one of each?

A three team CTF would take a lot of skill to make properly and I encourage you to take this challenge. A four team CTF would be nice, as there are so many two team ones out there, and I miss the good four way battles. :) And two team is always good, I guess. It's the standard type people make.

Here's a map file of an old three team CTF map...not sure who made it. (file attached)
Attachments
3ctf.map
Very old, as you can see, still .map, the old bzedit file type.
(4.14 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

Im for 4 Teams CTF it makes more fun :)
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

3-team
a four team map has too many teams.
a two team map has too little teams.
a three team map is juuuuuuuuust right.
also there are very little 3-teams because it's hard to make, i'd love to see someone make a three team.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

I had an idea about four team CTF, that's actually only two. Basically, all four teams can play, but there's only two bases. For example, add purple & green to your current server, though only red & blue can get capped on. Purple can still capture red/blue's flag, as can green, on those bases, but not their own - so really, they don't get the point - or do they? Hm ... anyway, they couldn't get capped on. What do you think?

Does all that make sense, or need more explaining?
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I think if there were more 3-team maps, that would be very cool.
Theme97
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Theme97 »

Ck_asdf wrote:Purple can still capture red/blue's flag, as can green, on those bases, but not their own - so really, they don't get the point - or do they? Hm ... anyway, they couldn't get capped on.
Purple and Green cannot capture flags to differently colored bases. They must drop the flag and let someone with a base capture.

And to have this kind of map, you need to move Purple's and Green's bases off of the map and control their spawning with a plug-in.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

I know their bases need to be off the map, but why should their spawning need to be controlled with a plugin?

All I have to do is use "zone" if I want to control where they spawn.

And, even if they can't completely cap someone's flag, they can at least help with it, if they wish. Other than that, they'd be rogues.
the_j0k3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the_j0k3r »

i put pen to paper, and came up with a map that i think people could take to, but i want to make sure its not too run-of-the-mill.

im thinking id make 2 bases in the 2 bottom corners, and 1 base in the middle of the top end. the bases would be inaccesible from the outside, but you can get to the outside from the base (probably a one side go through teleporter). linking the bases would be closed in corridors running around the edges of the map, probably with speed platforms inside. on the roofs of the bases (id make the roof only accesible by going to the middle, where there will be teleporters) there would be gm's and lasers (perhaps lasers in base, with sniping holes?)

if i get the time, ill post a quick drawing of it in paint, but otherwise try to go off my probably-awful explanation

if you guys like what you hear, ill get a very simple prototype of the map up
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I don't want to... er... "blow my own trumpet", I've made a few.

here's my triangles and hexagons: http://www.garrettsites.net/bzmaps/inde ... ail&id=122

There is also my circular "Code Zero" map, which is rabbit chase - but easilly adapted to 3-way CTF with minimal effort.
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8185

I have also made a three way planet-mofo map, but that remains classified ;)

I'm looking for ideas for a new map, so maybe three way is the way to go - they arn't difficult to make if you know how, just some group definition wizardry.... ;)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

the_j0k3r wrote:i put pen to paper, and came up with a map that i think people could take to, but i want to make sure its not too run-of-the-mill.

im thinking id make 2 bases in the 2 bottom corners, and 1 base in the middle of the top end. the bases would be inaccesible from the outside, but you can get to the outside from the base (probably a one side go through teleporter). linking the bases would be closed in corridors running around the edges of the map, probably with speed platforms inside. on the roofs of the bases (id make the roof only accesible by going to the middle, where there will be teleporters) there would be gm's and lasers (perhaps lasers in base, with sniping holes?)

if i get the time, ill post a quick drawing of it in paint, but otherwise try to go off my probably-awful explanation

if you guys like what you hear, ill get a very simple prototype of the map up
Sounding good. I do get the general idea of your map, I believe. :) Please do make a prototype if you have the time! It's always helpful in future maps you want to make and it gives others sight to your cool idea.

Ah, yes, the wonders of Spazzy Mcgee. 8)
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

I'm currently workign on another star-shaped one.

Watch this space.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

Spazzy Mcgee said:
Watch this space.
:shock: Watching intently ... not moving ... not blinking ... um, nothing's happening? :shock:
Da Best
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Da Best »

Nice idea jok3r :wink:
WarPig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WarPig »

i would like a good simple 4 team CTF
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I once made a 3-team ctf map with the three bases stacked on top of one another (so tanks had to travel vertically to steal and capture flags). It wasn't too popular, but maybe that's an idea you want to consider...
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

The problem with the stacked bases would be ... the first "floor's" team wouldn't have it very fair ... because their flag would be the easiest to capture on, or at least the easiest to reach.

Perhaps it'd be unfair to the top base, because once their flag is gotten, I guess they could just hop down to the lower base and capture - no jumping required?

You could have evened it up some, making it similarly fair all around, but I'm just guessing here.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

One idea I once had was to have bases way up high in the air, needing teleporters to get to them ... basically get up there, get the flag, teleport back down, run to your base, teleport up & cap.

I didn't follow through, though, because I didn't have a sufficient way of telling people "go through this tele to get to the blue base, and that tele to get to the red base."

I am, unfortunately, stuck in the v1 world at the moment, so I didn't know how to put text or pictures saying HERE!

What do you think of my idea, though?
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I think you could do stacked bases, but you would have to enable jumping, setting it to 0. then have like 6 levels. The ground is neutral area with physics drivers up to the top. The four in the middle are the team areas. Then the top is also neutral.

That would be the most fair way to do stacked bases.
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

what do you mean, set jumping to 0?
you mean "/set _gravity 0" ?
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

I think it's like

/set _jumpVel 0

or /set _jumpVelocity 0
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

what does that accomplish? no jumping?
just don't add "-j" to the configuration ...
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

/vote yes 2
hehe 2 team ctf and rabbit are ones I'd like to see more of IMO...
'Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope'

-Aristotle-
Saber
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Saber »

I remember an old CTF map where all the team had to go on a platform with the other team's flag to capture the flag. It wasn't easy because it was the same platform for the 2 teams. There was a high SW to tell you where is the platform on radar. I liked that map but it's not on anymore I think.