Season length...

Please discuss issues concerning the Ducati League here. This is the liaison between league players and the league council.

Season Length...

Poll ended at Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:19 pm

Leave as is (3 month season - 1 month break)
3%
2 month season - no breaks
31%
1 month season - no breaks (same as 1v1 league)
48%
Other, please comment below
17%

Total votes: 29

ducati_council
Private First Class
Private First Class

Season length...

Post by ducati_council »

Sorry for the delay of this query...holidays and everyone busy with real life.

We'd like to know your thoughts on the current season length and break in between. The feeling we get is the season is too long and the breaks are not necessary. Currently it is 3 months for each season with a 1 month break.

This is a 3 day poll, so please pass the word around to other league players.

Also, all played games since 1/1/2007 count towards the second (current) season. There will be a delay in displaying the season stats until we get this straightened out as it requires some reworking of the league site coding.

Happy New Year and Happy Flagging!
catay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catay »

Great. thanks :D
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Other:
3 Months is too long
1 Month break is too long.

Either 1 or 2 month seasons is good.
A break of 1 or 2 weeks is also good.

IMHO.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

CannonBallGuy wrote:A break of 1 or 2 weeks is also good.
Breaks less than a calendar month make it more difficult to code. Also, it would affect the season starting on the 1st of the month, which IMHO feel is necessary for simplicity.

I voted 1 month season, no break. I feel this provides teams of all skill a better opportunity to chase for the trophy.

Keep the comments coming!
It's a good idea to always carry two sacks of something when you walk around. That way, if anybody says: Hey, can you give me a hand? You can say: Sorry, got these sacks.
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

I agree with CBG, but actually bamf got the point. It would also make it more dynamic like the 1vs1, so i voted with bamf: 1 month with no breaks
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I feel a break is important, otherwise the "seasons" will all roll into one, which defeats the purpose, no?

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

leviathan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by leviathan »

hey all

i also would prefer a break.
its a question of glory to the champion!
no break would just lead to everybody is playing on without knowing who won. its partially the same in the 1v1 league...

the length:
i heard its partially a question of programming.
like its way easier to code it with the calendar system.
this would mean we should stick to 1month without break, because 1month break still sems too long for me.

if there is a way of using the 52-weeks-system, however, it would be the best, imho, to have 6 weeks of playtime and 2 weeks of break.

but of course anything is fine for me.. lets just play and be active.
levi
catay
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by catay »

fyi. I voted for the 1vs1 forumla. With a short season/no breaks also weaker teams have a chance to win at some point a season. (If the strong teams are for some reason not that active). I just think it's more encouraging to have a short season for the weaker teams.

take care,

catay
AlliedArmour
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by AlliedArmour »

I think 2 month, no break is the best idea.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

leviathan wrote:hey all

i also would prefer a break.
its a question of glory to the champion!
no break would just lead to everybody is playing on without knowing who won. its partially the same in the 1v1 league...

the length:
i heard its partially a question of programming.
like its way easier to code it with the calendar system.
this would mean we should stick to 1month without break, because 1month break still sems too long for me.

if there is a way of using the 52-weeks-system, however, it would be the best, imho, to have 6 weeks of playtime and 2 weeks of break.

but of course anything is fine for me.. lets just play and be active.
levi
I'm with levi.

A small break would be nice. Let the champions drink the wine, share the champagne, be pampered, enjoy all day massages... etc etc

all the comforts, right?

but coding a break does seem to be a bit of nuisance.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

IMHO, I should think it is somewhat a "flaw" in the original coding if season and break lengths are restricted to numbers of months.

Merry Christmas!

birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

ya i like the idea also from having one month and than two weeks break or so

(i voted for one month no break but actually i like this one more :) )
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

Actually I _think_ that the current code does already support seasons of arbitrary start and end dates. The break is implicit, a new season must currently be started manually. So coding-wise, we can support all combination of lengths to the best of my knowledge. I will make sure this really is the case.

However, having the start and the end of a season at month boundaries has its virtues: easy to know when the season ends without looking it up. Maybe we can feature last season's winning team somewhat more prominently on the site, though.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Yikes, the choice I would like is not listed above :)

I felt the 3 month season a little too long....and a month long break too long as well...although for the Christmas holidays that worked out fine.

What I would like to see is a 2 week break between seasons. Maybe with a 6 week season, the next season would always start on the first of every other month. Season 1 Jan 1- Feb 15. 2 wk break. Season 2: Mar 1st - Apr 15, 2 wk break. Season 3 May 1st... etc etc etc Not tooo long, not toooo short.

That said....Having the season run monthly.....may be the best compromise. But you run the risk of it becoming old hat and no time for the winning team to have a moment (however brief) of glory.

my 2¢
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Perhaps a 1.5 month season with a .5 month break would be suitable then?
How exactly you halve a month is up to you.... Maybe 1 month + 2 weeks, then have the break be a little over 2 weeks.

EDIT: Seems the ever-wise kierra and I think alike and I agree with her completely.

Merry Christmas!

SportChick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SportChick »

I, too, would prefer 6 weeks (or so) season with 1-2 week break in between, which is not listed.

Chestal is correct on the coding - the current code supports any length of season with arbitrary start & end dates. If simplicity is the goal, you could easily run any season to start on the first of a month and end 1 week before the end of the following month (e.g., Jan 1 to Feb 21 (for a 1 week break), etc. It merely becomes an issue of confusion v. simplicity and maintenance.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Out of the choices we are given, I would say two months and one month break. However, if there was some way we could shorten the break to two weeks, or something similar (CBG already mentioned this), that might be good.
Chestal
Dev Guru
Dev Guru

Post by Chestal »

As a compromise based on the poll and the opinions expressed here, the new season scheme will be 1.5 months of active season followed by half a month break. A season will usually start at the beginning of a month and end on the 15th of the following month.

The current season will be 4 days short because we have a slightly delayed start. I hope every team can live with that.

It starts now!