Trying to setup Server

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Trying to setup Server

Post by lodxcol »

I want to host the server on my desktop, and administer it on my laptop. I can get it running from my mac laptop, but am having some trouble getting it going on my Windows Desktop. I'm using the "bzfs -conf path\to\conf\file" command in the windows command prompt, and it says the server starts. I've aliased my IP to grover.servegame.org, but I can only connect to it when it is run from my laptop. Also, according to http://whatismyip.com , both my laptop and Desktop have the same external IP. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Da Best
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Da Best »

You may also have a firewall problem. try and fix that, and then try setting it up on your laptop and administering it from your laptop? idk why you would want to run 2 comps to run 1 serv. but oh well ;)
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

Well I'd have to leave my laptop on all the time, and I don't want to do that. I turned off the windows firewall and still no luck.
Da Best
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Da Best »

you WANT to keep your firewall on, trust me, just add an exception to your list of exceptions and ports.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Grover, try connecting to the server using the internal IP address of the desktop machine. Your router probably isn't forwarding internal requests to the external address.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

heh but maybe it isnt a problem in Internet, but maybe it is :)
If they are rgith check ports if they are on. :) If they are off you can't run server :)
Ah and maybe if you are connected to some company wich Internet you use, maybe they have in Protocol said that in-ports are set off and out-ports are on. IT MEANS that you ca create server but nobody couldn't join it because only in-ports are off.

If it is no a problem in it, then
the best way is to ask Win Xp or 1st Consul, because they are running servers on PC. PS. (i think so)

And please private message me yours config i'll check it.
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

I could help you if you have Windows or Linux... :)

But you have Mac, janis was running BZ on Mac too (1 year ago) he can help you :)
Want to improve your skill? Join the http://guleague.org!
hookah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hookah »

1st Consul wrote:I could help you if you have Windows or Linux... :)

But you have Mac, janis was running BZ on Mac too (1 year ago) he can help you :)
LOL
Fills wrote:He has mac laptop but desktop computer Windows.
And he said that he needs to start it first on his desktop computer windows. He only needs to try admining his server from laptop. ROFL

Note. Sorry for bad english.
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

Ah LOL!!

My mistake.... :)

@ Grover

You have maybe a router on your Desktop PC??
When you have one, then you must to open the port 5154.

------

You didnt forget to use public in your conf??

------

When this post is no help for you, then post the config and the map file here please :)
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by that exploding tank »

Macs seem to have their own firewall. Mine issues crazy Denial of Service attacks on even internal requests. Currently, my Terminal cannot connect to the Internet on its own. Macs seem to be the hardest kind of computer to connect to.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I don't think it makes any sense for us to continue posting on this thread unless Grover gives us some more information.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Running a bzflag server on Windows generally isn't recommended, at least from what I hear. I think they're are a lot of problems with the setup.
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

@Constitution

To run a server on windows is the easiest thing ever, cause windows is not difficult like Linux or Mac :D
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

1st Consul wrote:@Constitution

To run a server on windows is the easiest thing ever, cause windows is not difficult like Linux or Mac :D
Yeah, that's why such a huge percentage of servers are run on windows... :|

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
meeba
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by meeba »

CannonBallGuy wrote:

Mine's not.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

TangenT wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:

Mine's not.
@ TangenT: Can't you taste the sarcasm? ;-)
@ CannonBallGuy: Exactly, lol.
@ 1st Consol: To my knowledge, Mac OS X and Linux bzfs servers aren't any more difficult than Windows, but to each his own. :-)
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

ok, I think the problem lies within my conf file. Can anyone post theirs? (a windows one)
lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

blast, how would I find my internal address in Windows? I'm used to using the command line in Unix. Yes, I'm using a router, a Linksys WRT54G v5 (I think).

My Windows desktop is connected to the router, and the router is connected to my Cable Modem.
Last edited by lodxcol on Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Grover wrote:ok, I think the problem lies within my conf file. Can anyone post theirs? (a windows one)
Try basic first, and get that working. For instance, just run "bzfs -ddd -p 5154" and try connecting to that. If you get that working, go from there.

lodxcol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lodxcol »

Okay, I can get it running, but I'm having some difficulty with groups. I've setup Admin and Cop permissions, but when I try to login to the server, I have a little "-" next my name, saying my callsign is registered already (and yes, the pass is right.)

Also, registered users don't have a "+" next to their names.

Please help!
Zelgadis
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zelgadis »

hmm, naja someone is better with linux or mac or windows, and ok the most bzfs are running on linux :D