Connection Speed and Christmas

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Connection Speed and Christmas

Post by bzflaginator »

OK, here's the dish...the day after Christmas I noticed my connection on bzflag slowed down greatly. The ping is ok but the jitter is very high, around 80-100. I very rarely have packet loss accompanied with it. I was wondering if my ISP maybe slowed down due to people maybe getting new computers and connections after Christmas? Its awfully frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Possible, but I can't imagine some new computer gifts would cause the ISP so many problems (probably a very small percent of the overall count of their customers).

If it's related to the holidays at all, I'd guess it's all the kiddies on break torrenting/downloading cause they have nothing else to do. :)
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Well the ISP is branches send to each modem and if there is enough new traffic at a givin point, the connection will slow down. I notice its worst in the evening when Im assuming people are home from work and school. I periodically get on in my house between classes at the college.
learner
General
General

shared connections

Post by learner »

If you're on cable internet or adsl, you usually share your connection with those in your neighborhood/locale. So a combination of everyone returning home from visiting families, kids still being home on winter break from college/high school/etc, and other "free time" people tend to have around the holidays could mean that your local network is basically just slightly traffic-jammed. See if it persists past the end of January, and if it does, I'd maybe complain to your ISP.
$Bullet Friendly$
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by $Bullet Friendly$ »

darn them neighbors:( Causuing u lag
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Correct you are learner. Ive also noticed some issues with my Movies On Demand service because I get digital cable with my connection and some things have been a bit screwy here and there. Is there a way I can maybe get a security config for my router (Linksys) because I seem to have miss placed the CD. I have a feeling its just a security issue because the frat house behind me likes to take my connection :evil: . I went over there to kick some of their butts at Madden and noticed one of them on the PC and went to look at the connection and infact that like (blank) was on my connection. :roll:
learner
General
General

Post by learner »

Ah, heh. If you have folks "taking" your connection, then you probably have bigger concerns. I'd suggest pulling up the docs on your linksys router, doing a *full* reset, setting the admin password to something different, and set up whatever other settings you need from there. It's very possible that you are actually sharing your linksys with others, especially if it's wireless -- and that could be what's traffic jamming you. You can go to the admin panel for your linksys and see how many connections are active.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Yup. I did it last night. I had the security setup at my other home but forgot to do it here. Now my game is fine :)