BzFlag on Myspace

External websites, for and about BZFlag
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

BzFlag on Myspace

Post by bzflaginator »

I had an idea of spreading the word about BzFlag on Myspace. I didnt know if it would be ok for me to post topics in the forums there and maybe make a myspace for Bz. Let me hear some of the views and input before I make a decision. :idea:
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
Triumph of the Soul
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Triumph of the Soul »

If someone were to set up a BZFlag MySpace, the worst possible (and it happens to be the most likely) scenario would be having the game (and forums) flooded with noobs. Most of them would leave and never play again before getting to be good players. And they would just go back to MySpace. Do we really want our servers filled up with these people. Don't get me wrong, I would love to spread the word about BZFlag. But MySpace is not the place to do it.
Creator @: Duck or Die, Duck or Die CTF, Fuel Stack, Guernica, Normal, Frayed
US Marines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by US Marines »

L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

US Marines wrote:www.myspace.com/bzflag
OH MY GOD, MY EYES! THEY BURN! WAAAAAUGH!!!! >_<
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't look like someone tried to fart but followed through. It's worse than the rest of myspace.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
Ck_asdf
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ck_asdf »

okay, whoever designed that space needs to take it down NOW. It's a TERRIBLE representation of bzflag, and uses AWFUL colors.

If anyone's to do a space, please let it be someone who has some design sense about them, and some actual knowledge about bzflag.

I have mixed feelings about spreading bz on myspace ... on one hand, we'd probably get annoying people, but on the other, we'd get more players. So ... which way should we go? I'm not sure.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I see no need for a myspace page. Seriously, why have one? It looks like total crap anyway.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Well I can make one. My girlfriend did mine while I was at practice one day and she showed me how to do it so I could do one, and not add anyone if I get a friend request.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Well like I have previously stated, you can advertise the myspace (bzflag one) in the "games" forum of myspace which is the second most popular sub-forum on the site.
Hannibal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hannibal »

US Marines wrote:www.myspace.com/bzflag
added.(yeah, hate me. I have a 'space.)
I do agree though about the design. Get a few better pictures, screenies, and a background image. Change the text color as well.
Or, PM me the email and Password, and I'll do it myself.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
ImageImage
biggeruniverse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by biggeruniverse »

You know, I know about myspace, but it never really interested me enough to actually ever visit the site (web2.0 is for children, after all). So, I just visited it for the first time. Here is my reaction:

1. Why anyone ever paid millions of dollars to own it is beyond me.
2. I really expected something amazing, but I see that it's nothing but a "build my own website" website for people with no skillz.

I guess the name should have given it away, but really, I thought it would be extravagant in its interfaces, and overflowing with useful social data and neat site-based statistics and mechanics; not "look how cool I am" crap.

Also, from what I gather, it seems bzflag should be a group under games, rather than a user...
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

You all seem very misunderstanding. Myspace was created for a free way to people to share information and chat with a profile with facts about themselves. It is no more than a social based website. The fact that numerous bands and "rappers" have emerged from myspace because they got their faces out there to the public shows how something like that can be beneficial.
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

but if the site looks Miserable then its a very bad why to show people about bzflag. and if I saw that space when I was looking on there I would not want to go and look at the game.
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Regarding the MySpace page itself, it isn't all that bad as it is right now. The screenshots weren't showing up. Instead, there's a yellow bar extending down several taps of the pgDn key. Not sure what that's all about. You aren't leeching, are you? Bad things can happen when you leech photos.
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

You should improve the site...better images, color, backgrounds, text and info...right now it looks horrible
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I think this pretty much sums up MySpace:
http://bash.org/?658871

Also, whoever is doing that page, don't hotlink images.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

dango
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dango »

I think our community here is fine as it is, with ads there will be a ton of noobs coming in and noobing up the place. with the amount of new people right now, it's fine, but imagine if 2000 noobs started playing bzflag in a course of a week. although most will leave in a day, imagine the chaos!
just my .02
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

Myspace isn't that bad guys, i have one myself, the crap you guys are posting about it ain't all true either. Myspace can be used for advertising purposes, and they have a very large game forum, just give it a chance, but you might want to spice up that page so as not to give us a bad impression
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
ducktape
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducktape »

I just think that if bzflag does have one it should look good. and give a Great! Idea of bzflag.

if we have one...
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

that's what we've all been saying...
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

What have we all been saying?

Some of us seem to be saying that the BZFlag MySpace page should look better than it does, and others are saying that MySpace people are Munchkins and that they don't want BZFlag advertised on MySpace at all, since they'll all flood the servers with obnoxious n00bs. Since the page is up, why don't the "Oh noes! MySpace Sucks!" people get over it, and let the people who are interested in making constructive criticism have their say?

Speaking of which, the site still has a bunch of the same image rather than the screenshots. My suggestion would be to either copy the images from the bzflag website, or better yet, make your own screenshots. Either way, you need to upload them to MySpace itself, rather than linking to a remote server. Remember, MySpace got a good Goatse-ing recently, since some dingbat template designer leeched an image that ended up in a popular template. You don't want to be next! (although I imagine that the bzflag crew has a better sense of decency than that)
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

All I will say is that you can not be critical of it unless you have a myspace. If you have no concept of it, and only believe what you see in the tabloids and news, then please dont criticize.
Secondly, how do you expect people to get to know the game without advertisements? Im not saying it is the right thing to do, but I always seem to hear things about how the game is so unpopular and whatnot. What if this game takes off like some of the music artists from myspace and becomes one of the most popular open source games of all time? I guess if this is a battle better not to fight because everyone has their own opinion and this thread was opened to see the opinions of many, not for permission to make a myspace. I notice a lot of the "haters" are youngsters that might not have a handle on the concept.
biggeruniverse
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by biggeruniverse »

bzflaginator wrote:All I will say is that you can not be critical of it unless you have a myspace. If you have no concept of it, and only believe what you see in the tabloids and news, then please don't criticize.
hmm. no. I can see a bad web page/site without a myspace, and I don't like to "take someone else's word for it", so as I said, I went and saw it for myself.
bzflaginator wrote: Secondly, how do you expect people to get to know the game without advertisements? Im not saying it is the right thing to do, but I always seem to hear things about how the game is so unpopular and whatnot. What if this game takes off like some of the music artists from myspace and becomes one of the most popular open source games of all time? I guess if this is a battle better not to fight because everyone has their own opinion and this thread was opened to see the opinions of many, not for permission to make a myspace. I notice a lot of the "haters" are youngsters that might not have a handle on the concept.
1. Sourceforge sez: http://sourceforge.net/top/topalltime.p ... offset=100, so it is one of the most popular open source games of all time.

2. bzflag is a niche game. You could advertise in the New York Times, on the BBC, EuroNews, FT, MT, whatever Tokyo's daily is, Hindustan Times, The Age, and on and on, but we still wouldn't get a lot more people. Of 1.5 mil downloads, we have ~10000 registered players. That's a .6% retention rate.

3. Still young at 27! w00t!
Davy Jones
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Davy Jones »

ducktape wrote:I just think that if bzflag does have one it should look good. and give a Great! Idea of bzflag.

if we have one...
longhair wrote:Quote:

What have we all been saying?
That if we have a myspace...IF...It should look better than what they have ATM...
Owner @ The Twin Towers
Admin @ The Two Boxes
Cop @ Army Of One
Longhair
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Longhair »

Davy Jones: you're attempting to speak for everyone.

I'd say that most of the people on this thread have been getting out the pitchforks and torches. Their sentiment being "we don't want your kind around here" (meaning that they think that they know what the average MySpace user is like, and that they don't want them playing BZFlag)