needed: usa players GU server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

needed: usa players GU server

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

are there any usa or canadian (or anything closer) people that can host a GU league style server? we are in desperate need of a GU server.

MOFO? badgerking? anyone?

tanks,
sm
oi!
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I am hosting one in Ohio but its public style.
I suggest you test the lag there. If it proves to be a popular server I can offer to create a match server.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

there is silvercat and shellshock allready
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

for some reason, packet loss is bad on both servers for most players. they do not get used for a reason birdman :wink:
maybe they need fatter pipe.

cbg's is pretty good but not match setup yet for testing.
birdie wrote:there is silvercat and shellshock allready
oi!
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

yea i know, they can be laggy. Shellshock can be pretty good though. But i must say that its a "common" thing to match on european servers. People would go (thats also like that on other leagues) to a european server, even if 50% or more are americans. Just cause americans are used to play with 150 160 lag and europeans are totally not adjust to play like that.

we are looking out for another good american server :)
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

sn0w_m0nkey wrote:for some reason, packet loss is bad on both servers for most players.
Well, the people with horrible connections are usually only the barons and you. I doubt that would be the most players.

If the problem is on your side, then a nearer server will not help.
GU league: http://www.guleague.org/
An introduction to TCP: http://www.lafkon.net/tc/
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Their connection may not be as good as the average but in calling it "horrible" you are exaggerating. The barons and the monkey are perfectly playable most of the time.
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

The game was designed for lag up to 10ms, no jitter and no packet loss. It hasn't changed much of how the game works, so this is still true. Especially jitter and packet loss are huge problems. That's why I say horrible.
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

ts,
would you not expect us people from over seas to have lag greater than yours? using your own logic, you should complain about people you play who have the high jitter values and low lag just as much.

you offer no help in this thread which is about trying to startup optional GU style servers on our side of the planet.

i would direct your comment to this thread:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9934
ts wrote:The game was designed for lag up to 10ms, no jitter and no packet loss. It hasn't changed much of how the game works, so this is still true. Especially jitter and packet loss are huge problems. That's why I say horrible.
oi!
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

a new us match server is comin soon (propably)
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

sn0w_m0nkey wrote:ts,
would you not expect us people from over seas to have lag greater than yours? using your own logic, you should complain about people you play who have the high jitter values and low lag just as much.
This thread is not about complaining, it is about the question of a new mirror server. Problems (= steadily changing lag, lost packets, jitter) on your end will not go away with nearer servers. You have not stated a single reason of why you think a new mirror server is needed. That's why I wrote it would not help solving your problems.
sn0w_m0nkey wrote:you offer no help in this thread which is about trying to startup optional GU style servers on our side of the planet.
You offer no reason why new servers should be needed, either. :roll:
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Im going to have to agree with birdie and ts on this one. It would be useless to create an American server if most of the players are European. I dont mind my ping time (120 +- 2 or 3ms). Have you tried changing ISP's :wink: . (VERY drastic measure there :P)
"He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals."
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

you sound like you have a problem with me personally.
funny
ts wrote:
sn0w_m0nkey wrote:ts,
This thread is not about complaining, it is about the question of a new mirror server. Problems (= steadily changing lag, lost packets, jitter) on your end will not go away with nearer servers. You have not stated a single reason of why you think a new mirror server is needed. That's why I wrote it would not help solving your problems.
sn0w_m0nkey wrote:you offer no help in this thread which is about trying to startup optional GU style servers on our side of the planet.
You offer no reason why new servers should be needed, either. :roll:
oi!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I think I'm going to support monkey here. We really do need another U.S. server, and really, the other two have been unplayable the last five times I've tried them. 40+ jitter and 50% lost packets isn't really bearable. I am glad to hear another U.S. server is on it's way! IThanks, birdie! And it's not just sn0w and the barons who have probs. Every U.S.A. player that went there lagged.

As for the personal attacks, really, they shouldn't exist. :) Keep it small while you still can...

I appreciate the request and the actions, birdie, and sn0w. Thanks!
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

ducatiwannabe wrote:We really do need another U.S. server, and really, the other two have been unplayable the last five times I've tried them. 40+ jitter and 50% lost packets isn't really bearable. I am glad to hear another U.S. server is on it's way!
Ah, ok that explains the question. However, whenever I go there jitter and packet loss is not different from nearer servers (of course lag is a bit higher due to geographic location but stable), bzflaginator also wrote this. That could mean there is a buggy router in your way. Depending on the way packets go the problem would still exist then even with a new server.

So best would be to work together with the server owners to find out where the problem is.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

It doesn't do this on any other servers. Even European ones. Seems odd to me. 8)

And if it's a problem with my router everybody else has probs too, but yeah, I'll check my router again. It doesn't have much trouble with any other servers, though...
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

ducatiwannabe wrote:And if it's a problem with my router everybody else has probs too, but yeah, I'll check my router again. It doesn't have much trouble with any other servers, though...
I meant a router between the players experiencing problems and the server(s) therefore I did not refer to your router at home. Rather some router owned by your ISP (or some other ISP). The "hops" in traceroute are basically all routers, if the delays change a lot between 2 hops then there is most likely some router (it doesn't have to be the one you have at home) being crazy.
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

Well I dont have issues on those servers when I lived here in NY and when I lived in Quebec. Maybe the server just needs a restart when you are playing there. Who knows. But if you think that another American server could help, feel free to pursue it...but better yet, why not try to get the other two American servers fixed :wink: . The demand for servers in the GU league is not high so there is no need for another in my opinion.
hiya
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hiya »

I've tried to play a good dozen or so matches on the 2 existing american servers in the last couple months and be forced to quit and move to european servers due to consistent high packetloss and jit. It's fine shooting europeans on european servers, but when everyone in the game lags above 150, shooting gets pretty tough. We americans do like to match eachother on occasion. A playable server on this side of the ocean would be much appreciated.
EbErT
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EbErT »

I haven't posted in a while, but this definately deserves it. Yes, there are more American players than you realize, who play at different times than euros (except snick). It'd be really cool if there was a reliable one closer to home, that functioned well (unlike shellshock, silvercat, and recently ladse).

Thanks for listening!
-EbErT
plasma kaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plasma kaz »

@ TS

eh, some people dont live right next door to where the server is hosted (exaggeration :P)..

its a little trendy for eastern americans to not really care about the american servers since they get around 100-130 on a decent euro server. the problem is that they don't "put themselves in laggers shoes" by having a high ping rating and seeing how annoying it is.

btw, i posted this in the gu forum a month or so ago, but i havent seen much done. I have tried setting one up but my ISP can't handle a server.

help?:-) like hiya said, it would be greatly appreciated
ts
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by ts »

beanpole wrote:@ TS

eh, some people dont live right next door to where the server is hosted (exaggeration :P)..
I've played for years on secretplace with a lag at around 210ms therefore I know how it feels like. With a lot of training I got used to it and gained an advantage because of it. After I played a bit on European servers I set up my connection to get the lowest lag possible. Nowadays I raise my lag a bit to get more difficult to be shot.

In all that time I had only 1 time packet loss during playing and never jittered. That means jitter and packet loss is not usual.
beanpole wrote:its a little trendy for eastern americans to not really care about the american servers since they get around 100-130 on a decent euro server. the problem is that they don't "put themselves in laggers shoes" by having a high ping rating and seeing how annoying it is.
I played for years as a lagger :lol-old: and I know it is a huge difference therefore I don't argue against this. My point is why should the problem be gone at another server when the reason is unknown.

Someone who knows what he is doing and is affected by the problem could help to solve it.

BTW: Shellshock is on brlcad's box meaning on the same server the forum is hosted on, AFAIK. So that problem does not only affect shellshock but this forum and "got stats?", too. That would be another point for fixing the problem.
plasma kaz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by plasma kaz »

ts, I may be missing the point of this thread....

But from what i can understand, snow and some other americans just want another american server that is more playable. From what i know, they aren't asking to fix "the problem" because it has been like this for a while :twisted:
bzflaginator
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bzflaginator »

OK, I wont lie... I too would like an American server to match other Americans just to see what its like for mik and skit :wink: . But until we find someone to actually put the actions in motion we are SOL. :roll:
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

I am willing to, if you chaps in the states find the lag on my current public server low enough and if the GU admin team will give me permission to make it official.

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007