List of most popular/classic 1.x maps

General talk about the map making process.
macsforme
General
General

List of most popular/classic 1.x maps

Post by macsforme »

I'm trying to compile a list of the most-played maps of all time and their authors. While many kinds of maps could be listed, I especially want to capture maps that primarily use 1.x objects (basic boxes/pyramids/bases/teleporters), including maps that have a few limited mesh objects (like one-way doors) or have mesh shapes that could be represented by basic geometric volumes (at least in the physics, if not visually). I have played since circa 2005, but I know the game has a history since even before that. Any contributions to this list would be appreciated.
  • HiX (Tim Riker)
  • Overlord (Dutchrai)
  • Grassroots (Babel)
  • Pillbox (cosmos???)
  • Spiralzone (author???) Help me out with this one... I never played on it much, but I remember it being super colorful... was that a later revision of it? The version I see on the server list appears to use 1.x objects, but I don't know the progression of versions.
  • The Two Castles (Viper)
  • Ariel and Ground Attack (Badgerking)
  • Missile War (ducatiwannabe)
  • Missile War 2.3 (ducatiwannabe)
  • Castle Warfare (ducatiwannabe)
  • Bloodbath 2.5 (R3laX)
  • Boxy War (BinarySpike)
  • Wild East Wild West (Dutchrai) (Source/inspiration map for Apocalypse in Action)
  • LaserMania (Louman)
  • Fox Burrow (^nightmare^)
What else am I missing? Weren't there a few good rabbit hunt maps? Did Louman make any other maps with generally primitive shapes that were heavily played?
tainn
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: List of most popular/classic 1.x maps

Post by tainn »

To add:
  • Decks (Michael Rodgers)
LaserMania does not only use primitive shapes, due to tilted boxes; or our understanding of primitive shapes differs. I think Spiralzone was first run on secretplace by Nidhoggr, and that it was made by wiz.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

tainn wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:09 amLaserMania does not only use primitive shapes, due to tilted boxes; or our understanding of primitive shapes differs.
Thank you. I realize the map objects in LaserMania are not as primitive as many 1.x maps. Basically, I want to include maps containing meshes where the objects can generally be represented with basic primitives in a physics engine (which would exclude maps that heavily use complex meshes like trees, bushes, climbable mountains, etc.). In any case, I'd rather cast a wider net than a narrower one.
blast wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:48 am Is this Spiralzone? https://sourceforge.net/p/bzflag/world-files/23/
Comparing that to the one I see on the server list, it does appear to be an earlier version of it. The one on the server list has far more complex geometry. I'm curious if anyone is more familiar with the history of the map, and can tell us which version/rendition of it was the most successful, etc. Or maybe my impression was wrong, and that particular map was less prominent than I thought.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

macsforme wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:46 am I'm trying to compile a list of the most-played maps of all time and their authors. While many kinds of maps could be listed, I especially want to capture maps that primarily use 1.x objects (basic boxes/pyramids/bases/teleporters), including maps that have a few limited mesh objects (like one-way doors) or have mesh shapes that could be represented by basic geometric volumes (at least in the physics, if not visually). I have played since circa 2005, but I know the game has a history since even before that. Any contributions to this list would be appreciated.
While I don't know the authors, Pie-in-the-sky and Ziggurat come to mind.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The server message on SpiralZone revisited says it's by BzDoug and Wiz. I don't know if that version of it existed back in the 1.x era though. I only remembered playing in the versions I saw on SF.net.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

as i'm not technical enough to differentiate, there will be numerous 2.x maps in the mix. also some of these maps have been popular for some time, never to be hosted again, so may not be rightfully counted among the most played maps or fit your other criteria. just take what you want. ^^ i still wanted to remember them and remind them to fellow oldtimers. i'm sure i will have left out a few important ones.

urban jungle by armyofone and *theman. the current version has been modified by a collaboration work of bugsy, rio dj narrow, thrak and unclelightning. the empire came from overdoze and zigzag (aka sticks) from eria ziel.

urban combat by Sid6.7

mad city by grape of wrath

pinball rabbit hunt apparently made by root, later modified by rambo

eria ziel by ducatiwannabe, later modified by w00t! and deadalot

fairground by lan

hide n' seek hills by binary spike

map for smart and sneaky people (was hosted by a polish server, maker probably unknown)

ionian paths and ancient and modern by the purple panzer

columns and rivers, bridges and twin peaks by louman (of course most of his incredible maps we know and love came after 2.x, not sure even these earlier works are 1.x)

giza plateau, iggy's world and atlantis by aribeth

mario's arena by mario

overdoze by teamvss

tunnels by constitution

a*a bridge crossing by teppic

ratlab by dutchrai

summer storm by mahem

stonehenge, brave new world and volcano island by anomaly

easter island and stalingrad by jefenry

rain'n frogs by landshark

outta space by checkyourself

gym of pain, hotel ffa, fun park, rubato ffa, ironside battlefield, paradise valley, retribution ffa, riot ffa, xug ffa (among many others) by ahs3

feel free to make corrections, and certainly add others.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to the list!
Squirrel G
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Squirrel G »

Don't believe it was a 1.x map. I could be mistaken. When I started playing that map, most popular at the time by a long shot, it was near and around the version change. It's been so long.

What was weird is that there were servers still running 1.x that were fun. I believe your client made a difference. Some servers would specify a particular version.