Guide on How to Run a BZFlag Server on Mac OS X

Need help seting up a server, or have a question on how to run one? This is the place.
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Get on the bzchat channel

Post by optic delusion »

Get on the bzchat channel
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

ports

Post by Legolas_ »

hi, i use a airport and i was wondering how to open a udp port? i got the tcp but the udp is confusing.

any help would be well apprecieated.

Post by Guest »

Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas_ »

that works for tcp only i need udp :(

Post by Guest »

It should be somewhere on the routers control thing...
Tell us the make and model of it, or ask your parents what to do with it...
Legolas_
Private First Class
Private First Class

ok

Post by Legolas_ »

I use an Apple Airport v5.5.1
Id# 00:0d:93:7f:11:22

Post by Guest »

That sounds like your wireless network card...
What is the make and model of your "Router"?
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

CannonBallGuy wrote:That sounds like your wireless network card...
What is the make and model of your "Router"?
Isn't the AirPort a router? :?
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

1BadPlayer

Post by optic delusion »

just so you know CBG, I helped him alot yesterday on the chatchannel.
He's running locally, just needs to get the darn ports open, and I think he will be OK. I gave him my example conf, which he seemed to like, He was a prime candidate for my checklist too.

Legolas, I don't know what to tell you, about airport.
1BadPlayer serves using an airport, maybe he can help.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.

Post by Guest »

Ah, ok, you have an airport base station... :)
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Ice Wewe »

I installed Developer Tools (yep, all 3 GB or what ever) on my OS X (10.4) and BZFlag still wont make! I get through the compile, and about half way through the make, and I get an undefined SDL lib error (or something like that)... it sucks. :P :evil:
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Ice Wewe wrote:I installed Developer Tools (yep, all 3 GB or what ever) on my OS X (10.4) and BZFlag still wont make! I get through the compile, and about half way through the make, and I get an undefined SDL lib error (or something like that)... it sucks. :P :evil:
Download the runtime library and dev library of SDL here: http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
Reaper
Private
Private

Post by Reaper »

Ok, I'm trying to set up a server and I downloaded the files and stuck the 3 of them in my home folder. Then I opened up Terminal and typed ./bzfs.txt It replied ./bzfs.txt: line 1: /Applications/BZFlag/BZFlag-2.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs: No such file or directory. What is up with that? I have opened the bzfs file in that location. I have no idea what to do next.
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

It is quote possible that you have 2.0.4, not 2.0.2 and that it may not be in a "BZFlag" folder.

Change /Applications/BZFlag/BZFlag-2.0.2.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs to suit you.

A quick way of finding the path to your bzfs is to do this:
Find your latest version of BZFlag. CTRL-Click it and choose "Show Package Contents". Go into MacOS. Here you will see bzfs. Drag that into a new terminal window.
Now you can copy the Path it gives you into the bzfs.txt file. :)

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
tw1sted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by tw1sted »

he probably should change the bzfs.txt file to this ( if he just draged bzflag to his aplication folder ):

/Applications/BZFlag-2.0.4[ or .6 or .8 ].app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

"Contents/MacOS/bzfs" is right, just do what CannonBallGuy said and make sure you have the right path leading up to that. If you have "BZFlag-2.0.8" in your Applications folder, for instance, your path would be "/Applications/BZFlag-2.0.8.app/Contents/MacOS/bzfs".
that exploding tank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Bad Link

Post by that exploding tank »

When I click the link to download the disk image to my computer, it takes me to one of those cheap search engines, NOT to a downloading page. Can you fix this?
CannonBallGuy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by CannonBallGuy »

Hmm, yeah, that domain expired a long time ago.
I'll see what I can do...

Merry Christmas!

"Look, if I don't buy booze for the kids, I don't get any incriminating pictures to show to their parents, my business goes down the sink, my girlfriend leaves me and the baby goes on ebay. So help me search..."

"go Play With Toys urself in a dark alley u donkey ******" - Lt-Kirby2007
knoxkorner
Private First Class
Private First Class

How to solve

Post by knoxkorner »

This is my guess..... i just think it doesnt like it.......

Im just kidding my true guess is that those three filer are not allowed in there. To solve this problem is simple. Step 1. Grab phone. Step 2. Call dad. Step 3 (OPTIONAL) If he says he will not come, and he has his blackberry make it full with junk mail. If this does not work, go to his office and kick him. Step 4. Bring him to your house and shove his face at the computer screen. Step 5. Go downstairs and let him work. Step 6. Go back to the computer and he should have it all done. :D :D :D :D :D

:lol-old: :lol-old: :lol-old:

P.s. This will work with anything on the computer!
P.s.s. It worked for me
ramires_pl
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Limited Success

Post by ramires_pl »

DTRemenak wrote:
n1mie wrote:I'm having another problem. I saved a couple of the worlds out there that I liked to make use of them at home, but I haven't been able to determine how to get textures working (otherwise they are fine). The map files reference a texture in a web format ("http://..."). I changed this to a file reference ("file:///") and it didn't work, even with a complete and explicit path. I suppose I could put the textures on a web space I own, but there must be a way to reference them locally. The ones I have are in PNG format, I tried JPG and BMP with no success.
The textures need to be accessible from the CLIENTS. Therefore they need to be published somewhere that the clients can find them...http and ftp are supported.
Files from other server than:

Code: Select all

allow *.bzflag.bz
allow *.bzflag.org
deny *
arent allowed. This restrictions are in file DownloadAccess.tx and you will find it in ~/Library/Application Support/Bzflag

"~" means your local Library Folder located into Home directory
every clients must add your server to your files work.
My post about this is here:
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9684
and the resolution is here
http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7993
--
ramires
owner of bzflag.pl servers
@admin on some maps :)
Polish BZFlag forum, maps, tutorials and more
Polish MyApple e-store in devel version - Suggestions on pm
Fozzy
Private
Private

Post by Fozzy »

I suceeded to run a BZFlag Server on Mac OS X.10 without using the terminal app but only with the graphic interface. The only thing I didn't manage to do was to change the map. How do you load another map to your server? Where do you put the maps you downloaded on Mac OS X to load them with the graphic interface server configuration?
Please, don't tell me there are no other ways than using man config on the terminal :?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Fozzy wrote:I suceeded to run a BZFlag Server on Mac OS X.10 without using the terminal app but only with the graphic interface. The only thing I didn't manage to do was to change the map. How do you load another map to your server? Where do you put the maps you downloaded on Mac OS X to load them with the graphic interface server configuration?
Please, don't tell me there are no other ways than using man config on the terminal :?
By "graphic interface", do you mean, from within the client? You can't run a full fledge server from the "Start Server" menu in the client. That menu is only for starting a quick game, for LAN play only.

However, it should be possible to place world files (with .bzw extensions) into the "~/Library/Application Support/BZFlag/worlds/" directory. However, I recall something about an issue with map selection, so no guarantee it will show all/any of your maps in that directory.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Fozzy
Private
Private

Post by Fozzy »

blast wrote: By "graphic interface", do you mean, from within the client? You can't run a full fledge server from the "Start Server" menu in the client. That menu is only for starting a quick game, for LAN play only.
I'm sorry, I forgot, I made it for a LAN play. So, if I put my dowloaded maps into ~/Library/Application Support/BZFlag/worlds/ I should be able to choose them from the client?
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

blast wrote:However, I recall something about an issue with map selection, so no guarantee it will show all/any of your maps in that directory.
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln